Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The 17th Amendment


April 8 will be the 97th anniversary of the ratification of the 17th Amendment, which mandated the direct election of U.S. senators by popular vote, rather than by state legislatures. This Amendment overrides Article I, Section 3, Clauses 1 and 2 of the Constitution. U.S. Congressman Louie Gohmert (R-TX) recently called for the repeal of the 17th Amendment, arguing that this action would do much to restore states rights.

The Framers of the Constitution called for the election of senators by state legislatures not only to maintain a balance between federal and state power but also to provide a filter for popular opinion. The Founders had apprehensions about making government too democratic, as they believed that the common man might succumb to "passion" (emotion) instead of reason and elect unqualified representatives. Over time, as the right to vote broaded to include more of the American populace, people began to call for the direct election of senators.

Voting rights have expanded throughout our country’s history. Have your students play the National Constitution Center’s Seize the Vote game and learn more about voting history as they attempt to win their character’s right to vote.

8 comments:

  1. My somewhat long web turn upward has toward the day's end been remunerated with lovely knowledge to discuss with my family and friends.I 'd say that the majority of us guests are truly invested to exist in a fantastic spot with a lot of superb people with extremely supportive things.

    Best essay service company

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Much obliged to you for this, I introduced it a day or two ago and am exceptionally cheerful. I was simply pondering, is there any method for concealing remarks from the online journal proprietor? A great deal of my answers and reactions are appearing on the food and I'd preferably showcase guest remarks than my own!
    שיפור דימוי עצמי

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family always say that I am wasting my time here at net, but I know I am getting experience all the time by reading such pleasant posts. Birthday parties singapore

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live to get guidance from consultant,I think this scarcely works for anything! So they get a low score and a superior evaluation, okay.Thanks for sharing this basic data about investigation. I had found out about eatery reviews. But,I don't have more thoughts regarding the score board created after investigation.
    Project management certifications

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are going for finest contents like myself, just go to see this site daily for the reason that it gives feature contents, thanks

    -----------
    Learn to Read Hebrew Online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you please send by e-mail me the code for this script or please tell me in detail concerning this script?


    Most Useful Excel Shortcuts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello all, here each individual is sharing these sorts of ability, so it's pleasant to peruse this site, and I used to go to see this online journal day by day. Academic training Dubai

    ReplyDelete